NEW WEBSITE

Wednesday 9 April 2008

Spandau Ballet and the SD1

As a response to blogs seen elsewhere, I've decided to make my favoruite historical era into a blog.

And it's the 80s. The decade of Blondie, Ultravox, and Kraftwerk. The Thatcher years. Rover's SD1, the Audi Quattro, and the 205 GTi.

I just like the lot. The cars that were around at the time (this would have included cars of the late 60s and the 70s) were from what in my opinion were the best decades for motors - we had the excellent Rover SD1, the Golf GTi, and Ford's XR3 for a kick-off. The Capri had reached it's best generation, and we were to see one of my favourite MGs ever, the Maestro Turbo.

I am listening to 'Call Me' by Blondie as I am writing this. When I am not, I can be found listening to Roxy Music, Spandau Ballet, Midge Ure, and the children of my hometown, Human League. Even today, the music of this era remains popular - name me a single person (especially on the Internet, where it has featured in at least 2 pranks to my knowledge) who has never heard Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up".

And I admire the politics of the time. The Iron Lady inherited a poor economy, entered into war (which we won), and she managed to reduce the power of the trade unions. Her legacy (of a sort) has lived on, in Tony Bliar (who tried to emulate her as a conviction politician, but will now be remembered for the farce that was Iraq) and David Cameron. Indeed, we need another Prime Minister like her to succeed Brown if we are to avoid financial crisis in the coming years. Indeed, opinion polls suggest hat were she to stand today, she would easily win the next general election. Yeah, she made it hard for some, but overall the country was better off for having had her.

One factor on it's own could qualify the 80s as the greatest decade of the 20th century, but the strength of three seals it for me. Of course, if you disagree with me, start your own blog and tell us which decade you think is the best. I'm even thinking of abandoning my mop, and going for a mullet.

Long live the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment